Site Navigation

Customer Login

Need help logging in?

Did You Know?

If replacing an old toilet, state plumbing code requires the installation of ultra low-flow toilets that use 1.6 gallons of water or less per flush.


Boston Water and Sewer Commission (BWSC) requires various permits for the water, sewer or storm drain systems. Below is a listing of these permits and links to the description, fees and procedural requirements. BWSC works closely with federal, state and other city agencies and departments to maintain continuity for projects seeking permit approvals within the city. In many situations, BWSC’s site plan approvals are a prerequisite for future city permitting. If you need additional information, please contact BWSC’s Engineering Customer Services Department at 617-989-7600.

Dewatering Discharge Permits

A Dewatering Permit application must be filed for certain discharges to BWSC’s wastewater or storm drainage system and the contractor is responsible for researching BWSC’s wastewater maps to determine whether the discharge is to a sanitary sewer, combined sewer or storm drain.

Hydrant Meter Permits

Hydrant meter permits are available for construction purposes.

Stormwater Permits

Owners, developers or general contractors are responsible for stormwater management on their construction sites and may need to obtain permits from federal state or local authorities. BWSC has prepared a helpful webpage to determine what permits are required and from which authority they can be obtained.