Site Navigation

Customer Login

Need help logging in?

Did You Know?

Only 3% of the water on Earth is freshwater. Of that 3%, only 1% is available as drinking water. The other 2% is frozen in polar ice caps.

Stormwater Permits for Construction

Apply For a Construction Permit by submitting a Notice of Intent(eNOI).

Do I Need a Stormwater Permit?

How do you determine if you need a stormwater discharge permit for your construction activity? First, examine the planned activity. If you answer “yes” to all of the following questions, you will need a stormwater permit for your construction activity.

  • Is the total site one (1) acre or more?
  • Is the total planned disturbance one (1) acre or more?
  • Is the stormwater conveyed through a pipe, ditch, or swale?
  • Is the storm water discharged to waters of the United States (river, pond, brook, stream [perennial or intermitent], or wetland) or to a Municipal Separate Storm Sewer storm drain)?

In short, if a construction activity (clearing, grading, or excavation) disturbs one (1) acre or more and has a point source discharge of stormwater to waters of the United States, it needs a storm water discharge permit.

Who Should Apply for a Permit?

The owner, developer, or general contractor can apply for the permit. All parties with day-to-day responsibility for site operations should submit a Notice of Intent as co-permittees following the initial permit application.

NOTE: An authorized representative (president, vice president, general partner) must certify the plan.

What To Do If You Need a Permit

If you need a permit, seek coverage under the existing general permit for stormwater discharges from construction activities. You must:

  • UNDERSTAND and comply with the conditions of the general permit.
  • DEVELOP a stormwater pollution prevention plan (SWPPP) prior to submitting the Notice of Intent to EPA. (Retain the pollution prevention plan on site and submit a copy to BWSC. You don’t have to submit it to EPA.)
  • REVIEW tips on developing and maintaining a SWPPP.
  • SUBMIT a Notice of Intent to EPA with a copy sent to BWSC at least 2 days prior to the intended construction activity (clearing, grading, or grubbing).

Apply For a Construction Permit by submitting a Notice of Intent (eNOI).

Compliance with the general permit means that you have a pollution prevention plan which addresses all the permit requirements, that you maintain the plan on site, log all inspections and results, and update the plan as necessary. The final product should be reviewed to determine if a post-consumption permit is required.

TIPS on Construction General Permit Compliance

When you have achieved final stabilization at the site, submit a Notice of Termination-EPA From 3510-13 included in the NPDES General Permit for Stormwater Discharges from Construction Activities.

Other Permits

In Boston, authorization from the Boston Water and Sewer Commission is required for construction of a new or reactivated service connection to the water, sewer or drainage system. The BWSC also requires a Dewatering Discharge Permit for the discharge of construction site dewatering to the Commission’s sewer or storm drain system.