Site Navigation

Customer Login

Need help logging in?

Did You Know?

A dairy cow must drink 4 gallons of water to produce 1 gallon of milk.

Stormwater Permits for Industrial Use

Activities that take place at industrial facilities are often exposed to the weather. As runoff from rain or snowmelt comes into contact with these activities, it can pick up pollutants and transport them into the municipal storm drain system or directly into waters of the United States. As authorized by the Clean Water Act, EPA’s National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program controls water pollution by regulating point sources, such as industrial facilities, that discharge pollutants. In order to minimize the impact of these discharges, the NPDES program includes an industrial stormwater permitting component that mandates businesses with specific SIC codes to NPDES permitting requirements.

Do I need a Stormwater Permit?

All “industrial companies” are responsible for either:

  1. filing a Notice of Intent(eNOI) with the EPA, or
  2. filing for a No Exposure Certification if the company meets specific requirements. Click links below for details.

Federal regulations identify 10 categories of stormwater discharges (Collapsable List) associated with industrial activity that require authorization under a “NPDES industrial stormwater permit for stormwater discharges” (unless otherwise excluded) however construction sites are permitted separately. More information about permitting stormwater discharges from construction activities is available on our Stormwater Permits for Construction page.

In general, the 10 categories of industrial activities that require authorization are as follows:


Who Should Apply for a Permit?

The owner, developer, or general contractor can apply for the permit. All parties with day-to-day responsibility for site operations should submit a Notice of Intent as co-permittees following the initial permit application.

NOTE: An authorized representative (president, vice president, general partner) must certify the plan.

What to Do if You Need a Permit

BWSC implemented a program to develop an inventory and inspect industrial sites in the City of Boston in 2012. Many facilities have been already been inspected and information on the program has been provided.

Notice of Intent

If you do not meet the “no exposure exclusion” requirements explained below, then follow this link to file a Notice of Intent(eNOI).

No Exposure Requirements

To determine if your facility meets the requirements for the "no exposure" exception, use the links below. This would exclude you from NPDES industrial stormwater permit, provided that you file the No Exposure Certificate every five years.

If you meet these requirements file for your certificate using the form below:

To check the status of your application click here:

Search, Sort, and View NOIs