Site Navigation

Customer Login

Need help logging in?

Did You Know?

Frozen water is 9% lighter than regular water. That is the reason ice floats.


Demolition of a building in the City of Boston involves a number of forms, permits and supporting documents. In addition, there are also a number of agencies who oversee this process.


The property owner must:

  • Submit a letter to BWSC requesting demolition
  • Submit a letter from a licensed and bonded contractor
  • Request BWSC to shut-off all domestic and fire pipe service
  • Provide the fire pipe Shut-off Permit Number from the Boston Fire Department located at 115 Southampton Street, Boston
  • Return BWSC’s water meter and Meter Transmission Unit (MTU)
  • Pay any outstanding balances along with any unbilled accrued charges and reclassify the account
  • Hire a bonded and licensed drain layer company for the disconnection (cutting and capping) of the water, sewer and storm drain connections at BWSC’s main lines and the removal of all appurtenances

This final requirement will trigger BWSC’s General Service Application (GSA) that will need to be completed and submitted with all supporting documentation.

Once all related work is completed, as well as the GSA with all supporting documents, BWSC will sign-off on the Form. The next step involves obtaining a Demolition Permit from the City of Boston’s Buildings and Structures Division of the Inspectional Services Department (ISD), which is located at 1010 Massachusetts Avenue, Boston.

In addition, a Street Opening Permit will more than likely be needed as well as a Traffic Management Plan. The City of Boston’s Department of Public Works issues the Street Opening Permit and the Transportation Management Plan should be submitted to the Transportation Department. Both departments are located at One City Hall Plaza, Boston.

If you have any questions, please contact BWSC’s Engineering Customer Services Department at 617-989-7600.